My Boring Blog

Hello all. This is my blog which I will be using primarily to show pictures that I have taken while I am in Bulgaria. Any thoughts or opinions are strictly my own and no one elses.

Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Bulgarian Dentistry





This past Friday I had my medical and dental check ups. Good news I'm not going to die, due to medical reasons, for a little while longer and my teeth don't have any new cavities. The bad news was that the dentist was a pretty unpleasant experience.
Now the hygienist that I went to is actually from Sweden and she seems like a very nice person. Her chair side manner leaves something to be desired however. When she was cleaning my teeth she took the sharp metal pointy thing you scrape the teeth with and jammed it into my gums (I assume that this was an accident). She then asked me if it hurt? I wanted to scream out "YES, WHEN YOU SHOVE A SHARP METAL STICK INTO MY MOUTH IT HURTS!!!", but I just nodded because she still had the sharp metal stick; so I thought it best not to provoke her. She also used some sort of water blasting device on my teeth to clean them. At one point she hit the outside of my mouth at my chin with the high powered water spray. I flinched and clenched my fists in fury, but didn't do anything.
The most interesting thing however were the xrays. She took xrays of my teeth and thought there might be the beginning of a cavity, so she wanted to have the dentist take a look. Fine I though, good to catch it now before it becomes a problem. The dentist came in, we spoke, and he seemed like a very nice guy. He looked at the xrays and started talking to the hygienist in Swedish. He then took the xrays, flipped them over and turned them around. Apparently the reason something looked wrong with the teeth was that the xrays were being looked at in the completely wrong direction. Needless to say this does not inspire confidence. But I am glad that they caught the mistake before they started drilling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home