My Boring Blog

Hello all. This is my blog which I will be using primarily to show pictures that I have taken while I am in Bulgaria. Any thoughts or opinions are strictly my own and no one elses.

Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

Friday, May 26, 2006

Alphabet






The other day was a very big holiday in Bulgaria, Cyril and Methodi day. These are the two guys who created the Cyrillic alphabet, they were also brothers. They were Bulgarian and their creation helped spread literacy, Christianity, and a great deal of culture throughout the Balkans. A women at my local grocery store told me that that holiday is the most significant of all Bulgarian holidays. The holiday is celebrated throughout the country with parades, parties, eating, and drinking.
Also at this time is when twelfth graders graduate school and go out into the world. At my school they had a commencement ceremony where the students kissed the school flag and then got to march in the parade, along with all of the other students from the school. I didn't teach any twelfth grade classes this year but it was really nice to see so many students had made it to graduation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home