My Boring Blog

Hello all. This is my blog which I will be using primarily to show pictures that I have taken while I am in Bulgaria. Any thoughts or opinions are strictly my own and no one elses.

Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Inspector cometh...



One of the interesting things about teaching as a Volunteer is that you are and are not a member of the school staff. I am because I teach students, grade things, and have to follow curriculum rules. But I am not because I am not as accountable for teaching as other teachers, am only there for a certain amount of time, and am ultimately accountable to my country director in Sofia. This creates a myriad of advantages and disadvantages as you might imagine.
Well this week an inspector came to my school for a visit. Allot of the teachers were very nervous as she would be observing them teach their classes. Luckily for me she wouldn't observe my classes, so I remained happily indifferent towards her visit.
Today the inspector was observing a class in the room next to mine. When class started I went into my room and began taking attendance. The kids were running amok as usual and I was trying in vain to get them to sit down and be quiet. Well it turns out that the students were so loud they could be heard outside of the room. A janitor came into the classroom and told them to be quiet because of the inspector in the next room. The students quieted down for the briefest of seconds and then started making noise once again. I told the students to be quiet but they ignored me as they always do. A couple a minutes later the assistant director came in and told me about the inspector, I told her I knew and that the class knew. She then told the class to be quiet in Bulgarian and said a bunch of other stuff which I didn't understand. After the assistant director left the class was silent and I stood looking out at the students with a sly smile on my face, the only sound in the room a droll chuckle escaping from my lips.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home