My Boring Blog

Hello all. This is my blog which I will be using primarily to show pictures that I have taken while I am in Bulgaria. Any thoughts or opinions are strictly my own and no one elses.

Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Hearts and Needles


Yesterday, as everyone is aware, was Valentine's day. Valentines day is one of the many holidays that Bulgaria has imported from the west. For the most part it is exactly the same here as it is in the States. Couples exchange gifts, red and pink candies abound, and single people are ostracized as freaks and lepers. There were some small things done at my school to celebrate the holiday, many posters with hearts that people would write messages on. Also when people entered the school they had a paper heart pinned on their chest, a girl from one of my eighth grade classes pinned one on me. It was interesting that not all of the teachers had hearts pinned on them, and neither did the director or assistant director. Anyway it was very nice and sweet way to celebrate the holiday I felt.
I did have a problem with one of my classes however. As I said the hearts were pinned onto the clothes... pinned. Anyone see a potential for a problem here? My second period class immediately saw this potential and began sticking each other the entire time I was trying to teach. If you have ever tried teaching English to a bunch of 14 year olds who are sticking each other with pins it is impossible. It is enough to make you want to stick them with pins... of course if I did that I would get in trouble. Damn civilization....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home