My Boring Blog

Hello all. This is my blog which I will be using primarily to show pictures that I have taken while I am in Bulgaria. Any thoughts or opinions are strictly my own and no one elses.

Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Clocks







While in Prague we went to a museum called the Green Room (or something like that). It was a fascinating museum that had some incredibly beautiful pieces. Some of my favorites we ornate clocks that were hundreds of years old. Many of these clocks had animated figures in them and were bejewled with diamonds, rubies, and other precious stones. It was fascinating to look at a clock that was 300 years old but still in incredible condition.
I absolutely love museums and have since I was a child. One of my favorite things about museums is that I am able to see objects that are very old and in many cases one of a kind. I think about what an object has gone through and of the stories it could tell. But the biggest reason I love museums is because for the most part they never change. Sections may come and go, displays may change but for the most part they provide a static snapshot of time.
My favorite book is The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger, he expresses what I feel far better then I ever could. "The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move. You could go there a hundred thousand times, and that Eskimo would still be just finished catching those two fish, the birds would still be on their way south, the deers would still be drinking out of that water hole, with their pretty antlers and the pretty skinny legs, and that squaw with the naked bosom would still be weaving that same blanket. Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you. Not that you'd be much older or anything. It wouldn't be that exactly. You'd just be different, that's all. You'd have on an overcoat this time. Or that kid that was your partner in line the last time had got scarlet fever and you'd have a new partner. Or you'd have a substitute taking the class, instead of Miss Aigletinger. Or you'd heard your mother and father having a terrific fight in the bathroom. Or you'd passed by one of those puddles in the street with those gasoline rainbows in them. I mean you'd be different in some way-I can't explain what I mean. And if I could, I'm not sure I'd feel like it."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everythink is nice but very big part of texts i don;'t translate!
:D

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home