My Boring Blog

Hello all. This is my blog which I will be using primarily to show pictures that I have taken while I am in Bulgaria. Any thoughts or opinions are strictly my own and no one elses.

Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

Monday, March 06, 2006

Damn Dancing Bulgarians....



Last night was another holiday here in Bulgaria, I have no idea what it is called. The main component of this holiday is gathering branches, maybe from pine trees I'm not sure, and placing them in an obscenely tall pile. At night the branches are lit aflame and people dance around them. I believe that this is to celebrate the beginning of spring.
Now the part where I come in is that I have been sick for over two months. Nothing serious but I have basically been coughing, wheezing, and generally crummy for a over two months. Yesterday I was feeling particularly wonky so I went to sleep at 9 pm to get some extra rest. I was sleeping like a rock until about 1030 when blaring music woke me up. I looked out my window to see the huge pile of wood aflame and glowing red hot embers flying everywhere. At first I thought my building my go up in flames but thanks to communist era efficiency it is built from cement so no fire danger exists.
The pile of wood was HUGE. I live in a block apartment building on the third floor and the top of the pile was even with me. After watching the heathens, I mean Bulgarians dance around the flames for a while I turned around and went to bed hoping that the music would stop soon. Three hours later it was still playing. People weren't dancing anymore, they were just sitting around a table getting drunk. At about 1 am I was passed the point of being angry and was busily plotting my revenge against these people. At one point I wondered "Don't these people have jobs to go to tomorrow?" I laughed at that thought and continued plotting. At 2 am the music stopped. I sighed, reveled in the quiet for a brief second, and promptly fell asleep... only to wake up 4 hours later to go to work.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dude. sorry you are sick. i think yesterday's craziness had something to do with lent starting in the Orthodox chruch. at least that is what they said up in these northeastern parts. have a great week!

-Sarah

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the campfires you and your scout friends used to build at summer camp.
Dad

2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home