My Boring Blog

Hello all. This is my blog which I will be using primarily to show pictures that I have taken while I am in Bulgaria. Any thoughts or opinions are strictly my own and no one elses.

Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Pop goes the Bulgarian




As in many countries people celebrate the new year here in Bulgaria with fireworks. For the past several weeks children have been setting off fireworks during the day all over town. Now what I mean by a firework is a small explosion. Well sometimes it's not that small. Children set these explosions off by cars, doors, plants, people, and animals. Most of the time the bang is far away and just startles you a bit, but sometimes they are quite close. One time I was using the atm when a firework went off very close, I didn't see exactly where, and but my ear was ringing for several minutes. It is a miracle that more children don't get their hands and fingers blown off by these things. These kids are managing to cheat Darwinism, for now at least.
The truly amazing thing is that there were lots of people around and no one did anything, they just kept wandering around doing whatever it was that they were doing. I couldn't help but think that if this happened back in the States people would have gotten pissed off and hunted down the children and called the police. But here people don't seem to care. I've often wondered what you would have to do to get people to react and do something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home